I was planning a summer supper. When it's really hot I don't like to heat up the kitchen by having the stove or oven on before guests arrive. So, I planned to do everything ahead of time and have a cold, help-yourself, salad buffet.
Along with this chunky potato salad, we had chopped romaine lettuce with several different dressings available, chopped tomatoes, onions, etc. along with cold cuts and a Southwestern black bean salad. There was also bread, butter, cheese and other condiments available.
To save even more work, we used paper plates, on plastic charged plates to make them more sturdy, and used plastic knives and forks to make clean up a breeze! The meal was served on the deck so we had a beautiful view of the sunset over the ocean.
Now, for potato salad, I prefer to use small red potatoes. Then you would just have to halve or quarter them. And, they would make the salad more colorful. However, I only had Russet potatoes available to me, so I used them and it worked just fine. By chunky I mean about 1 inch cubes.
- Add 3 quarts salted water to large pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the cubed potatoes and cook about 7-10 minutes, just until they are fork tender. Don't over cook or they will go mushy.
- Drain and cool.
- In serving bowl, mix together everything but the chunky potatoes.
- Add the potatoes and toss until they are well coated.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.